“Youth does not require reasons for living, it only needs pretexts.”

Thursday, November 5, 2009

2009 Inky Awards

VOTE NOW!

And don't forget to enter the Creative Reading Prize...

Voting closes on November 20

There is no other award in Australia that relfects what teenagers want to read. The Inkys are international awards for teenage literature, voted for online by the readers of insideadog.com.au. There are three awards: the Golden Inky for an Australian book, the Silver Inky for an international book, and the Creative Reading Prize, won by a young person for a creative response to a book they love, in any format they choose.

The 2009 Inkys Longlist
(click the title for a review)
Broken Glass by Adrian Stirling
Something happened when I was fifteen, something that made me invisible to everyone in Broken Glass.

Everything Beautiful by Simmone Howell
I believe in Chloe and chocolate.
I believe the best part is always before.
I believe that most girls are shifty and most guys are dumb.

Exposure by Mal Peet
The boy with all the dreadlocks had two line of business: cars and the patio trade.

Girl at Sea by Maureen Johnson
Ollie was in aisle five of Galaxy Art Supply stocking oil paints when Clio Ford emerged from the manager’s office.

If I Stay by Gayle Forman
Everyone thinks it was because of the snow.

Into White Silence by Anthony Eaton
The SS Loongana steamed slowly up the Derwent River towards it’s berth at Salamanca Warf...

Jarvis 24 by David Metzenthen
I tend to worry, I know I do, but only because I think there is lots of things to worry about.

Love, Aubrey by Suzanne La Fleur
It was fun at first, playing house. I made all my own meals. Crackers and cheese, three times a day.

My Candlelight Novel by Joanne Horniman
I am a reading girl, with a pale face, and glasses.

Paper Towns by John Green
The way I figure it, everyone gets a miracle.

Screw Loose by Chris Wheat
Chelsea Dean opened the front door to her parents' substantial riverside residence and was assulted by booming reception-centre music.

Skim by Mariko & Jillian Tamaki
I had a dreamI put my hands inside my chest and held my heart

Ten Mile River by Paul Griffin
Ray was bigger but José was boss. They were fourteen and fifteen, on their own and on the run.

The 10pm Question by Kate de Goldi
Tuesday the fourteenth of February began badly for Frankie Parsons.

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian by Sherman Alexie
I was born with water on the brain. Okay, so that’s not exactly true.

The Beginners Guide to Living by Lia Hills
She looks good for a corpse.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold. My fingers stretch out, seeking Prim’s warmth but finding only the rough canvas cover of the mattress.

Two Pearls of Wisdom by Alison Goodman
I let the tips of both by swords dig into the sandy arena floor. It was the wrong move, but the dragging pain in my gut was pulling me into a crouch.

Where the Streets Had a Name by Randa Abdel-Fattah
It’s six-thirty in the morning. I stumble out of bed and splash cold water in my flushed face.

Worldshaker by Richard Harland
A sound brought Col out of a deep sleep. Something was happening out in the corridor.

No comments: